The Speaker of Ghana’s Parliament Alban Sumana Bagbin has arrived in the country after he left for medical treatment in Dubai weeks ago.
Information available to Ghanaontheglobe.com indicate that Ghana’s number three as he calls himself arrived in the country on the afternoon of Monday, 13th December, 2021.
The Speaker of Parliament left the country on 27th November, 2021 for Medical treatment in Dubai after he presided over the controversial 2022 budget which had the E-Levy.
Before Honorable Alban Bagbin left he presided over the rejection of the 2022 Akufo-Addo led budget.
The budget was rejected by the Minority members of Parliament after the Majority boycotted the voting.
After the Speaker left the country, the 1st Deputy Speaker Joseph Osei Owusu and the majority members of Parliament approved the budget days after it’s rejection.
Since the Speaker has arrived in the country he will in no time take over his legitimate position and preside over the rest of the meeting.
13 Highlights in the 2022 budget
1. Abolishment of tolls on all public roads in the country
2. Government services to see at least 15% upward adjustment
3. A 1.75 percent charge on all electronic transactions has been introduced
4. One million jobs to be created under a newly introduced initiative dubbed ‘YouStart’, with a seed capital of GHS1 billion
5. Revenue and Expenditure targets. The government has also targeted an overall (GDP) growth target for the year 2022 at 5.8%
6. Modified taxation regime in the Income Tax Act
7. Common platform for property rate administration to enhance property rate collection introduced
8. Review of Benchmark values
9. Development Bank Ghana acquires license from Central Bank
10. Reduction of withholding tax on sale of unprocessed gold
11. Review of the VAT Flat Rate System (VFRS)
12. Reduction in power tariff