Brief History About KNUST
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) is a university located in Kumasi, Ghana and was Founded in 1952. KNUST is a public university in Ghana as well as the largest university in the Kumasi Metropolis and in the Ashanti Region.
KNUST has six (6) traditional halls, which include: Independence Hall, Africa Hall, University Hall, Republic Hall, Unity Hall, and Queens Hall.
1. Independence Hall
As the premier and maiden hall in KNUST, Independence Hall also serves as a permanent hall of residence for all genders (both male and female students).
This hall is very special in KNUST and Ghana at large because it was opened in 1959 to commemorate Ghana’s independence on March 6, 1957.
Members of the halls are popularly known as ‘Spartans’. The main hall has 198 rooms, coupled with 96 rooms in 8 storey annex.
2. Africa Hall
First occupied by students on October 14, 1967, the hall was converted into a mixed hall in 2018, as part of the university’s policy under the leadership of Prof. Obiri Danso.
Members of Africa Hall are called “Domites”. Considered as one of the best halls on campus by students, Africa Hall has modern internet cafe, Mini Basket ball court, Games room, Salon, Chapel, Laundry, modern mini-market, and a well managed kitchen that serves food. It also has a J.C.R that sticks all kinds of food.
3. University Hall
The University Hall, popularly known as “Katanga” was established to commemorate the accession of the then Kumasi College of Technology to a full University status on August 22, 1961.
As a male giant hall on campus, which was always at rivalry with ‘Conti’, Unity Hall, Katanga lost its status to a mixed hall in 2018, as part of the policies of the University under the administration of Pro. Obiri Danso.
Among the hall’s facilities include Barbering Salon, Games room, Chapel, a mini market, communication centre, internet cafe, a Gym, kitchen that serves food, coupled with a very entertaining and lively Junior Common Room (J.C.R).
The hall can accommodate up to 792 students and 380 students in the main hall (198 rooms) and annex (95 rooms) respectively.
4. Republic Hall
The Republic Hall was established to commemorate the attainment of Ghana’s Republican status in 1960. Though it was initially established to admit only male students, the hall changed to a mixed hall status, and started admitting female students in 1991. It has 198 rooms and 96 rooms in the main block and annex respectively.
Republic Hall has a modern mini basketball court, Chapel, Games room, Salon, Gift Shop, kitchen that serves food, and a very popular Junior Common Room called “Cock Tarven”.
“Repu” is the popular name of the hall, and it is also well known for its unique Hall Week Celebration style on campus and beyond.
5. Unity Hall
Unity Hall, popularly known as “Conti” admitted its first batch of students on October 16, 1968.
Presently, the hall has a student population of over 1000.
Members of the halls are popularly called “Continentals” or “Conti” for short. Its modern facilities have been nicknamed “The Twin of Towers”.
Conti has a modern internet cafe, Communication & business centre, Basket ball court, Games room, a Boutique & Gift Shop, Barbering Salon, kitchen that serves food and a Shopping mall with a well stocked Super mar
Unity Hall is also the only hall with a radio station thus Continental Radio 96.1fm and the most comfortable, friendly and spacious Junior Common Room on campus.
Due to a change in the university’s policies, Conti lost its male hall status to a mixed hall on August 1, 2018.
6. Queen Elizabeth II Hall
The Queens Hall popularly called was named after the Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth II, and the hall was officially commissioned by the Duke of Edinburgh in November 1959.
However, Queen Elizabeth II never visited the hall until 1961 during her state visit to Ghana.
The hall’s facilities include a modern internet cafe, Communication Centre, Badminton court, Salon, Games room, a Gym, Gift Shop, shopping mall, and a kitchen that serves food.
Members of the hall are popularly called “Royals”.
Currently, Queens Hall is a mixed hall with 294 rooms in the heart of the KNUST campus.